Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Movies

My passion in life is movies. I have this DVD rental service that sends DVD's to my place once I've picked them and then when I'm done with them, I send them back and then they'll send me some more. I have watched classics, comedies, drama, action, documentaries, etc., but i must say that one of the most underrated movie category of all time is comedy. Why? Lets find out.

What are some of your favourite comedies? Well i can think of -- just off the top of my head -- Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Analyse This and That, The WaterBoy, Deuce Bigalow, The Friend's Series, The Seinfeld Series, The Blackadder Series, Titanic .. wait, but many of you won't find Titanic hilarious would you? "Don't let go Jack. Please don't let go.", "I won't let go Rose, I won't.". Show stopping one liners, absolutely cringe inducing humour.

Anyway enough about my distaste for Titanic, instead lets focus now on what makes comedies tick. The actors? The plot? The music? I would have to go with the actors. You can have a outright funny script and wonderful music and direction to go with it but if the actor is about as funny as Marlon Brando in the Godfather then the film ain't going to work, will it? Think about all the comedies i mentioned above. What or who do you associate with them? Billy Crystal? Jim Carrey? The actors are the one you usually remember in a comedy as they literally make or break the movie. One good example is "13 going on 30". Jennifer Garner was well known for playing serious, kick-ass roles. When itr was announced that she was going to take up a role in a comedy, many predicted that she was going to fail badly. Surprisingly, she showed wonderful comic timing and brought such incredible humour into the role that the movie became a smash hit.

Many people really underestimate how much acting and work is put into making a comedy a successful one. Its easy to make someone cry or get angry but its really very hard to make an audience laugh throughout a movie. Next time you go watch a comedy, think about all the work that went into making that one scene hilarious. Hopefully, one day there will be an Oscar for best actor in a Comedy